Brochettes of Melon, Prosciutto, and Fresh Mozzarella Courtsey of: Epicurious.com/Bon Appetit August 2003
As summer edges toward fall, the heat of the waning sun gives way to the welcome snap of cool evenings around the table. Toast both seasons with our 2014 Muscat Ottonel, alongside a platter of these delectable and easy to make skewers—great for an appetizer, or in lieu of dessert! The classic pairing of refreshing sweet melon and delicate salty prosciutto is joined by creamy mozzarella, and finished with a dressing of aromatic basil with bold shallot. The flavors and aromas are balanced by the fruit and mineral profiles of a medium dry Muscat.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 medium shallot, quartered
- 1 small (about 2-pound) ripe cantaloupe, halved crosswise, seeded, cut into 6 wedges, rind removed
- 12 small fresh water-packed mozzarella* balls or one 8-ounce ball, drained
- 6 thin slices prosciutto, cut in half, gathered into ruffle
- 6 8-inch wooden skewers
- Cracked black pepper
- Cut each cantaloupe wedge into 3 pieces. If using a large mozzarella ball, cut into 12 cubes. Assemble skewers: alternate 1 melon piece, 1 piece ruffled prosciutto, 1 mozzarella ball or cube; repeat. Serve immediately or prepare up to 2 hours ahead (cover and refrigerate, bring to room temperature 15 minutes before serving.)
- For dressing, add olive oil, 1⁄3 cup basil, and shallot to food processor. Use pulse setting until basil and shallot are finely chopped.
- Arrange skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and sprinkle with cracked black pepper. Garnish with basil sprigs. *Available at Italian markets, cheese shops, and some supermarkets.